On Wed, 24 May 2000, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 12:52:37AM +0300, Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >You can control what's being reloaded and what's not:
> >http://perl.apache.org/guide/config.html#Apache_Restarts_Twice_On_Start
>

> Not really. This would require intimate knowledge of some module's
> implementation (which files it requires and which it doesn't). My hackish
> example did something similar, indeed, but it had to be embedded into the
> module source, which is somewhat inconvinient.

If you don't have PerlFreshRestart turned on (it is not recommended on
production servers), only the stuff in your config file (<Perl> sections
and PerlModule/PerlRequire) gets called twice.  You can block things out
like this:

<Perl>
unless ($Apache::Server::ReStarting) {
}
</Perl>

> BTW, what is the connection between that part of config.html and
> PerlFreshRestart? Can it happen that modules get reparsed even when
> PerlFreshRestart is off?

Only the stuff in your config file should get reparsed.

> Should I abstain from trying to restart apache when using any modules
> requiring full perl semantics? And is SIGUSR1 safe?

People have reported some growth in memory consumption when using
SUGUSR1.  Personally, I always do cold stop and start on my production
servers, in order to maximize shared memory, but this is difficult when
you don't have a load-balanced cluster at your disposal...

- Perrin