Frank Wiles wrote:

>  .------[ Pramod Sokke wrote (2000/07/06 at 12:03:02) ]------
>  |  We are running Netscape Enterprise server with cgis written in perl and C.
>  |  I'm looking at moving over to Apache and start using mod_perl. How
>  |  simple/complex do you think the process is going to be?
>  |  There are tons of scripts distributed all over the place here. Would moving
>  |  over to Apache/mod_perl going to be a simple plug-in or would it involve
>  |  re-writing lots of stuff?
>  `-------------------------------------------------
>
>     From what I've gathered moving normal Perl CGIs is no problem what
>     so ever.  The C CGIs can continue to run as normal, however without
>     the performance benefits that mod_perl offers.
>
>     You'll probably want to rewrite any heavily utilized scripts, or
>     ones that take large amounts of resources to run to take full
>     advantage of mod_perl.

Pramod, for a little bit more guidance...

Your "regular old CGI Perl scripts" are going to be ported to mod_perl
most easily using one of 2 different Apache/mod_perl modules:

  * Apache::Registry
  * Apache::PerlRun

To be _really_ simplistic about it, Apache::Registry is faster, but it
is more picky about the quality of your Perl CGI programs, insofar as
quality is a measure of ability to hold up in a persistent environment.

Apache::PerlRun is slower, but your scripts are going to handle a better
chance of working without modification.  (Another aspect of how it's
slower is that you won't be able to take advantage of Apache::DBI persistent
database connections with Apache::PerlRun.)

Here are some helpful links from Sta's mod_perl guide online:

CGI to mod_perl Porting. mod_perl Coding guidelines.
http://perl.apache.org/guide/porting.html

Apache::PerlRun
http://perl.apache.org/guide/porting.html#Apache_PerlRun_a_closer_look

Cheers,
Richard

 Richard Dice * Personal 514 816 9568 * Fax 514 816 9569
 ShadNet Creator * http://shadnet.shad.ca/ * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Occasional Writer, HotWired * http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/
     "squeeze the world 'til it's small enough to join us heel to toe"
         - jesus jones