We use stronghold here and its great. Our configuration handles like this :

Stronghold : Handles Port 80 and 443 requests. It then Reverse
Proxies dynamic content back to the mod perl servers.

I've used stronghold in 3 or 4 high demand apps and its a fantastic
low cost solution. However, we are starting moving to more hardware
based solutions and away from stronghold.

John Armstrong