> Only if you don't already have a proxy front-end.  Most large sites will
> need one anyway.

After playing around for a while with mod_proxy on a second server, I'm not
so convinced; we have been doing quite well without such a setup for some
time now, despite up to 70-80 httpd processes (with mod_perl) during busy
hours. Since we try to keep our website very responsive, the additional
latency we observed with a mod_proxy based front-end was noticeable (still
in the tenths of a second range though).

Perhaps with some more tweaking we could have avoided that (yes, we did turn
off Keepalive for the mod_perl back-end!) , but together with the other
drawbacks (remote IP tracking is difficult / impossible in some cases, lots
of <IfModule mod_proxy.c> sections in the config files etc.), it seemed to
be too much of a hassle to use while we still have enough memory for all the
httpd processes.

Regards,
-mjy
--
Marinos J. Yannikos
Preisvergleich Internet Services AG, Linke Wienzeile 4/2/5, A-1060 Wien