On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Marinos J. Yannikos wrote:

> > Only if you don't already have a proxy front-end.  Most large sites will
> > need one anyway.
>
> After playing around for a while with mod_proxy on a second server, I'm not
> so convinced; we have been doing quite well without such a setup for some
> time now, despite up to 70-80 httpd processes (with mod_perl) during busy
> hours.

If you can meet your performance needs without using a proxy front-end,
then by all means avoid the extra work.  If you find yourself bumping
against MaxClients and can't easily fix the problem with more RAM, I
recommend you give the proxy approach another look.  Personally, I avoided
it until the hardware costs of scaling without it became prohibitive.

- Perrin