On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Nathan Torkington wrote:

> Matt Sergeant writes:
> > Since its getting towards the end of the year, should we be thinking of
> > putting together a mod_perl track for TPC?
>
> I've got a room allocated to mod_perl for two days of conference at
> the next OScon.  With this group's blessing I'd like to call it "the
> mod_perl conference", as nobody else is offering mod_perl this kind of
> exposure.  It'll be mentioned in TPC advertising, but it won't be a
> Perl or Apache track of the conference: it'll be labelled and promoted
> as mod_perl only.

Wow, Nat, you are the man!!! Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward for all the
details about the length of the talks, that we have discussed before.

> The low-hanging fruit (obvious topics) will be:
>  * Doug MacEachern on mod_perl 2
>  * Matt on AxKit (also likely to make an appearance in the XML track)
>  * Brian on AO (please please dark gods let AO come to fruition)
>  * talk(s) on how to do good things with Apache::ASP
>  * mod_perl + backhand = ass-kicking
>  * Tips for developing or tuning HTML::Mason sites
>  * Case studies showing how big companies use mod_perl

+ HTML::Emperl,

+ Template Toolkit,

+ one room will be completely occupied by Damian Conway. We have to
collect $110 grands to buy him out from the Perl track. YAS, has already
agreed to help with $55,000 that were collected so far. So only $55,000
are left to collect.

+multilingual sites with mod_perl and TT, (I think Eric Cholet will be the
speaker for that, since he has implmented it here at jazzvalley.com)

+ using mod_perl for the most successful money making model on the web ==
xxx sites, with an extensive demo.

+ All the usual beginners + performance stuff

+ latest slides from Doug's snowball experience. We are all interested to
know how our leaders spend their time when they are not coding mod_perl.

+ Geoff with hundreds of his cool modules that he has released and will
release till the conference, so we call it's Apache::Geoff

+ May be jwb to talk about database performance coding/ Apache::Session.

+ more to come.

BTW, if you have something to talk about that isn't really useful, but
very funny, you should propose it as well. Dave Cross' talk about
Sub::Approx at YAPC::Europe was the killer talk. Remember that learning
new things is nice, but having a few minutes of fun is even nicer :)

> This latter is an important part of the Perl conference.  Many
> companies who would never 'fess up to using Perl seem quite happy
> to send employees to speak at conferences.  Their talks end up as
> a big advertisement for Perl, and lets us name-drop the company as
> a Perl user.  I see no reason why the same shouldn't happen with
> mod_perl.

Yup, definitely!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://jazzvalley.com
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com   perl.org   apache.org