Stas> I know that people pay a lot of money to attend TPC, compared to
Stas> YAPC, but I doubt that people would complain about a few laughs.

They've never complained at any of my seminars, and I bill myself as a
"technical comedian".

Humor helps the learning process, as long as it isn't used to distract
people from poor materials.  So we work hard at putting good quality
into the materials first, and then adding the layer of humor at the
right moments.