Dave Rolsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Sander van Zoest wrote:
>
> > Normally the mod_proxy code doesn't touch the headers, it simply sends
> > the headers on from the remote server you are proxying too. I doubt
> > it is mod_rewrite but it could be. The extra headers are probably coming
> > from your remote server you are proxying to.
>
> I don't think so.  If I do a telnet to the proxy server (port 80, no
> mod_perl) I get the extra headers.  If I telnet to the mod_perl enabled
> server (port 12345), I get what I want (no extra headers).

Technically mod_proxy doesn't generate headers (here I'm
taking the simple case of a non-cacheing http request).
After stripping the connection header, it simply passes
the headers it got from the backend server right on along
to r->connection via ap_proxy_send_hdr_line (or
ap_proxy_send_headers for cached files IIRC).

Moreover if your backend server calls ap_send_http_header
during its response, it *must* return a Server and Date field
unless your request is assbackwards. See the src for
ap_basic_http_header in src/main/http_protocol.c.

mod_proxy will upgrade assbackwards requests to HTTP/1.0
before passing them along to the backend server, which may
explain why the date field shows up in your telnet experiments.
Why not post the full output of your telnet sessions so we
can see what is really going on?

HTH.
--
Joe Schaefer