On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 11:34:49AM -0800, brian moseley wrote:

> people won't use the software if you don't give them a
> compelling reason. mod_perl and the higher layer systems
> that use it are not as easy to configure or program as php,
> and they have a lot less support from external software
> vendors or relevance inside engineering shops than java. we
> are being squeezed from both ends.
>
> i had lunch with doug and jon swartz not too long ago,
> talking about the possibility of starting a web application
> infrastructure company based on mod_perl and mason. when we
> got down to it, the fundamental question was: why not just
> use java? and we couldn't find any answer other than "i like
> perl better". and that's not a reasonable business
> justification.
>
> at some point we're going to run out of hobbyists and others
> who /can/ justify using mod_perl-based technologies because
> they like perl better.

As sad as this makes me, it has a ring of truth.  The only reason
I use mod_perl is to do things that require an Apache module, and
I don't feel like using C.  I know the performance increase for
mod_perl scripts is amazing, but the learning curve doesn't justify
it.

Perhaps if someone makes a mod_perl based embedded scheme like
Cold Fusion or PHP, that has some special hooks into Apache
for performance that the other solutions don't offer. . .

Honestly, though, I didn't believe the strength of mod_perl
rested on the Mason type modules.  I thought the strength of
mod_perl was having a perl/Apache API.  Having an easy way to
interact with Apache using everyone's favorite language was
what sold me on Apache.

Ideas?

JJ
--
J. J. Horner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The people who vote decide nothing.
The people who count the vote decide everything."
        - Josef Stalin

"The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the
blood of tyrants and patriots alike. ... Resistance to tyrants
is obedience to God."
        - Thomas Jefferson