On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
> >
> > Let me stright things out a bit, so you won't get misleaded by my post as
> > a marketing call.
> >
> > What we want is very simple.
> >
> > 1. We want many users, so they will thoroughly test the software and spot
> > bugs asap, so we -- current users will get a better product.
> >
> > 2. We want more developers, so they will write core mod_perl and 3rd party
> > modules, again for us current users to re-use and save development
> > time.
> [cut]
>
> It strikes me that there might be a route not yet taken to increase
> *availability* of mod_perl.
>
> Think about all the ISPs that host personal and small business web
> sites.  How many of them run Apache and allow their customers to code
> Perl scripts?

This route is partially taken. I've addressed these issue in one of the
previous articles
http://apachetoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-11-27-001-01-OS-LF-PL

And if you have an ISP that you want to become aware of mod_perl (and
learn about problems and solution) please point them to this article.

> Earthlink (which is huge), for one.  Yet it doesn't have mod_perl
> installed.  But if it did, both Earthlink itself and the customers might
> see performance benefits from Apache::Registry scripting.
>
> The two biggest obstacles I see to this:
>
> (1) Have to have a *reliable* way for customers to reload their Registry
> scripts.  Here's where some development work might be needed.
>
> (2) It might be argued that anything that *needs* Registry is too
> heavy-duty for the ISP to want it running anyway.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> (I wonder if it might be possible to enlist the Apache folks to campaign
> for this as well, since anything that keeps out the dread IIS is
> desirable).

What do you mean by enlisting the Apache folks?
When is the demostration :)

The real question is for someone to undertake the Safe module and make it
working for mod_perl. I think we have discussed this before. I don't
remember what was the conclusion.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/