On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, kevin montuori wrote:

>       i'm not sure about "all handlers, all the time" but a good deal
>       of what i'm using mod_perl for is session management, credential
>       maintenance, custom logging, on-the-fly compression, and other
>       "housekeeping" tasks.  i think only 10% of my handlers are
>       content handlers, the other 90% do things neither CGI nor an
>       application server are going to do.

in fact, these are exactly the problems ao is meant to
solve. the idea is that for now, we provide a presentation
tier environment with hooks to allow you to integrate middle
tier functionality, but eventually it would be nice to also
create a real j2ee like environment with separate front and
middle tiers, where presentation and business logic can be
varied and scaled separately.

>       if for no other reason than time to market, it's nice to have
>       access to the server API in Perl rather than C.  it took only
>       hours to whomp up handlers to help integrate netegrity's
>       siteminder product into our existing site; it would have been
>       weeks if it had to be written in C.

yup, it's always going to be nice to have direct access to
low-level components. as someone pointed out earlier, some
people will always require it. i'm shooting to make 80% of
people happy rather than 20%.