>>> brian moseley writes:

  bm> i know there are several people on the list who swear by "all
  bm> handlers, all the time". i've never heard anybody give a reason
  bm> for that preference that actually made sense to me.

      i'm not sure about "all handlers, all the time" but a good deal
      of what i'm using mod_perl for is session management, credential
      maintenance, custom logging, on-the-fly compression, and other
      "housekeeping" tasks.  i think only 10% of my handlers are
      content handlers, the other 90% do things neither CGI nor an
      application server are going to do.

      if for no other reason than time to market, it's nice to have
      access to the server API in Perl rather than C.  it took only
      hours to whomp up handlers to help integrate netegrity's
      siteminder product into our existing site; it would have been
      weeks if it had to be written in C.

      cheers,
      k.

--