On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Jim Woodgate wrote:

> With a system like Tomcat running in a jvm outside of apache, you only
> have one jvm, and you get things like being able to share a cache
> between all sessions alot easier.

[snip]

> That being said, I wonder how difficult it would be pull the perl
> intepreter out of mod_perl and run a perl stand-alone multi-threaded
> daemon which listens for mod_perl api calls... :)

There is Velocigen and SpeedyCGI (or is it FastCGI?).  These basically
create a pool of perl interpreter daemons that respond to requests.

The problem with them compared to mod_perl is that you don't have access
to the server internals so you can really only affect the content handling
phase.  Is this the case with Tomcat as well?

If so, I'd say its not really comparable to mod_perl.

-dave

www.urth.org
We await the New Sun