At 12:06 AM 12/6/00 -0600, Jim Woodgate wrote:

>Chris Winters writes:
>  > Along with the open-source Servlet/JSP/Web Engine servers (among
>  > others):
>  >
>  >  Apache Tomcat: http://jakarta.apache.org/
>  >  Jetty: http://jetty.mortbay.com/
>  >

>I'm currently using the Tomcat at work, and I have to say that
>although I really love perl and mod_perl, there are real advantages to
>using java.  Over the past couple of years that I've been mostly
>lurking on this list there have been a couple common threads:
>
>1) Memory Usage: embedding the perl interpreter on every process uses
>lots of memory.  This of course can be tweaked and isn't as bad on
>good OS's, but it is a common thread.
>
>2) Sharing information between the processes.  There's lots of
>different ways to do it, but none really jumps out as an end-all
>solution.
>
>With a system like Tomcat running in a jvm outside of apache, you only
>have one jvm, and you get things like being able to share a cache
>between all sessions alot easier.
>
>I personally find the configuration of mod_perl to be more straight
>forward than Tomcat, but I do see some advantages to that system (I'm
>sure there are some speed disadvantages to the tomcat communcation,
>but haven't done any benchmarks).
>
>That being said, I wonder how difficult it would be pull the perl
>intepreter out of mod_perl and run a perl stand-alone multi-threaded
>daemon which listens for mod_perl api calls... :)

This is very similar to SpeedyCGI + mod_speedy. Although it's more like a
servlet engine model than actually get access to Apache API. SpeedyCGI is
not web server specific (except the mod_speedy module).

>Things I would never even try with java:
>
>1) Talking any client/server protocol other than URLs.  The perl
>mail/ftp modules are so easy to use and they work great.  I don't even
>want to think about writing to syslogd from inside java... :)

There have been public domain libraries to write to syslogd in Java for a
long time.  The only problem with Java in this regard is that there is no
CPAN. But if you search on the net, you can usually find something in Java
that has the equivalent to a CPAN module that deals with networking as Java
makes networking quite easy.

>2) Spawning an external process.  I try not do it in mod_perl, but I
>have never been able to pull it off in java.

I don't see why you are having a problem. We do it all the time for
utilities we don't have any other access to.

Later,
    Gunther