At 02:18 AM 12/6/2000 -0600, Dave Rolsky wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Jim Woodgate wrote:
>
> > With a system like Tomcat running in a jvm outside of apache, you only
> > have one jvm, and you get things like being able to share a cache
> > between all sessions alot easier.
> >
>[snip]
> >
> > That being said, I wonder how difficult it would be pull the perl
> > intepreter out of mod_perl and run a perl stand-alone multi-threaded
> > daemon which listens for mod_perl api calls... :)
>
>There is Velocigen and SpeedyCGI (or is it FastCGI?).  These basically
>create a pool of perl interpreter daemons that respond to requests.
>
>The problem with them compared to mod_perl is that you don't have access
>to the server internals so you can really only affect the content handling
>phase.  Is this the case with Tomcat as well?

Yes this is the case with tomcat.

>If so, I'd say its not really comparable to mod_perl.

It is very comparable. In the advocacy of mod_perl we are talking about
losing MAJOR ground to PHP and Java from a web applications development
perspective.  So I think it is comparable.

The fact that mod_perl can modify the internals of apache is an icing on
the cake to most real-world programmers and won't make them use mod_perl or
Perl at all until it becomes as easy as PHP.

SpeedyCGI and TomCat are really very easy to get up and running and coding
away compared to mod_perl.