Matt,

Everything required to make the module work ought to be included in the package
or at least cross referenced to it.  I have been having a problem in which I
have had to manually resolve module dependencies on a Solaris 2.6 box.  It went
through several layers with several candidates for each layer.  It's taken me a
couple of months to get here.

If you want corporate america to buy in to Perl, which seems to be the general
gist of this thread, and not to loose any of the freedom you have in coding
Perl, then you are going to have to find a way to make Perl easier to use.  If
it stays this hard, most employers are not going to let their precious IT staff
devote time and energy to doing things in Perl that they can buy off the shelf
elsewhere.

It's really been an ugly process.  My suggestion, I think that CPAN could make
things a whole lot easier by simply asking the folks who wrote the module to
link to the things it's dependent on.  I also think that CPAN could make a good
many folks lives easier by listing system requirements, when known.

My point is that if things have been this bad for me, an end user (Joe Small
Business Owner) would have given long ago and used php for his web site because
he can probably figure that out.

Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>
> > I haven't looked at AO or AxKit, but if I can untar either one of them and
> > just get to work, that will rule.
>
> You can't, but thats because I believe in the CPAN model - use pre-written
> components. I don't believe shipping all those components in AxKit (and
> there are a fair number required) is the right solution. Maybe I'm
> mistaken.
>
> --
> <Matt/>
>
>     /||    ** Director and CTO **
>    //||    **  AxKit.com Ltd   **  ** XML Application Serving **
>   // ||    ** http://axkit.org **  ** XSLT, XPathScript, XSP  **
>  // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **
>      \\//
>      //\\
>     //  \\

Jimi Thompson
Web Master
L3 communications

"It's the same thing we do every night, Pinky."