At 09:27 AM 12/6/00 +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>
> > I haven't looked at AO or AxKit, but if I can untar either one of them and
> > just get to work, that will rule.
>
>You can't, but thats because I believe in the CPAN model - use pre-written
>components. I don't believe shipping all those components in AxKit (and
>there are a fair number required) is the right solution. Maybe I'm
>mistaken.

I think you are right for AxKit. I assume some modules you depend on are
compiled (eg XML::Parser). If this is the case, then it's a pain in the ass
to manage distributing all the modules together. And since you rely on
mod_perl, you already assume a certain level of expertise that your users have.

However, in our toolkit, we do ship CPAN modules with it. But this is only
for modules that don't require compilation and because we want someone who
downloads our apps to run it on any web server out there -- no
dependencies. Yet, if there is mod_perl, the apps will run fast.

So I think both models are appropriate. And I believe you are right to
distribute AxKit the way you do.

Later,
    Gunther