On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 04:35:02PM -0800, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Christian Jaeger wrote:
> > Yes, it uses a separate file for each variable. This way also locking
> > is solved, each variable has it's own file lock.
>
> You should take a look at DeWitt Clinton's Cache::FileCache module,
> announced on this list.  It might make sense to merge your work into
> that module, which is the next generation of the popular File::Cache
> module.

Yes!  I'm actively looking for additional developers for the Perl
Cache project.  I'd love new implementations of the Cache interface.
Cache::BerkeleyDBCache would be wonderful.  Check out:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/perl-cache/

For what it is worth, I don't explicitly lock.  I do atomic writes
instead, and have yet to hear anyone report a problem in the year the
code has been public.

> > It's a bit difficult to write a realworld benchmark.
>
> It certainly is.  Benchmarking all of the options is something that I've
> always wanted to do and never find enough time for.

I have some preliminary benchmark code -- only good for relative
benchmarking, but it is a start.  I'd be happy to post the results
here if people are interested.

-DeWitt