For all of you trying to share session information efficently my
IPC::FsSharevars module might be the right thing. I wrote it after
having considered all the other solutions. It uses the file system
directly (no BDB/etc. overhead) and provides sophisticated locking
(even different variables from the same session can be written at the
same time). I wrote it for my fastcgi based web app framework (Eile)
but it should be useable for mod_perl things as well (I'm awaiting
patches and suggestions in case it is not). It has not seen very much
real world testing yet.

You may find the manpage on
http://testwww.ethz.ch/perldoc/IPC/FsSharevars.pm and the module (no
Makefile.PL yet) under http://testwww.ethz.ch/eile/download/ .