Well, I've talked to a few mod_perl guys over the last conference and by
email lately and we have have all agreed that we are quite sick of
generating forms and parsing them, no matter what cool toolkit and hype
words we are using to do that. So we all are looking at doing core
mod_perl, i.e. we want to develop *mod_perl* *itself* and tightly related
modules.

Since mod_perl is an open source, it's a tough quest. Basically what I
want is get some company that will benefit from me working on open source
project full time and pay me a salary. Of course it's probably hard to get
a full time open source position, so probably some compromising offer,
where we do some 50-75% of the time mod_perl development and the rest
doing something else, if it makes the company more happy.

Definitely I'm aware of the situation in the market. But you know what,
look at the history, at any recession times there were always those who
continued to prosper. Therefore I believe that some companies not even
slowed down, but have accelerated their growth and have enough cash to
invest into open source and make probably improve their image. Look for
example at Covalent, I don't know all the details, but this company seem
to stand strong on its legs. But Covalent has already Doug, so this is out
of question.

So if your company thinks it can directly or indirectly benefit from
having one or more mod_perl experts doing cool mod_perl development, let
us know. There are at least 3 people (including me) that want this job.
I'm sure that there are many more that will be interested.

I've mentioned in the subject that the request is unusual, so please
respond only if you think you can stand behind this offer and not promise
things that will never become true. I've bitten once on such an offer, and
will try not to do the same mistake a second time in a row.

Thanks a lot!

On the related note, does anybody know about the financial status of
Velocigen? How do they sell their products? We think to try to revive this
old idea where we create mod_perl company, that will sell mod_perl and
support. If Velocigen can do this with a closed source product, I believe
we can do even better, especially with the drooling mod_perl 2.0.

We have discussed this with I think 6 mod_perl guys about a year ago, but
since all of us were programmers, we didn't get anywhere. May be we can
come up with some nice business plan, and make a commercial mod_perl
branch, boost the awareness of the product, get companies to invest into
people developing it and make mod_perl a standard for webserver products.
I know that it's a rewishful thinking, but with the right people and right
companies I'm sure that everything is possible. I'm sure that you realize
the potential of mod_perl.

IMHO of course... I'm just a programmer, so if you ask about my business
plan, I tell: you find a good business shark and push it forward, we will
do the coding. Easy huh, but that's what we are good at -- coding, so we
better do that.

Anyway, fresh ideas are welcome

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/