All (and Perrin)

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/webobjects/DiscoveringWO/EOFArchitecture
> > /index.html

as I said... *ONE* enlightened approach :-)
I think you'd find that EOF (the persistence framework in that example) does
exactly what you speak of below.  Nevertheless, I absolutely agree that the
implementation is very much dependent on circumstances.   I just wanted to
give an example of an object-layer that doesn't require any SQL... and like
a said in my previous post, there are many ways to do this.  Our current
persistence layer uses a combination of an O/R mapper and objects that
manage their own persistence.

> I appreciate your kind words about my templating posts, but I don't agree
> that an object-relational mapper is always the right answer for database
> integration.  Using objects to model your data, and having the objects
> manage their own persistence through SQL calls is faster and easier for
many
> things, and it allows you to do things that can't be done with an O/R
> mapper, like advanced SQL tuning (optimizer hints), aggregation of
commonly
> fetched data into one query, etc.  You still get encapsulation of the SQL
> behind the object interface, and your high-level logic doesn't need to use
> any SQL directly.

Concur, see above.

> It would really be nice if someone could write an overview of the O/R
> mapping tools for Perl.  I know Dave Rolsky was working on one, but it's a
> big job and he's busy with Mason.

I've taken a look at many of them (Tangram? a few others) and haven't been
impressed with any of them.  I think part of the problem is that they're all
being developed in a bit of a vacuum.  But let's capitalise on the interest
that this thread has generated to start a push for something that we can all
use.  I think even the dudes who embed their SQL in perl could be made to
realise the benefits if we all started using a common framework.  Thoughts?

kyle
Software Engineer
Central Park Software
http://www.centralparksoftware.com