Gargi

On October 16, 2001 10:11 am, Gargi Bodke wrote:
>   i have been asked to suggest an architecture to seperate the business
> logic from the html.
> how is this done in modperl? i guess by using functions for the business
> logic.
> is there any other way?

Absolutely; mod_perl fully supports OO programming and all of the techniques
for separating business logic from display logic that you might use in, say,
a Java-based web application will work fine in mod_perl.  It's very very easy
to build a MVC-style application with mod-perl, as a number of different
mod_perl based platforms have shown (I always point out smartworker for this
but there are many others too).

Right now I have an enormous mod_perl based site.  Its business logic is
entirely separate from its application logic;  there is not a single line of
SQL anywhere in the application layer and it uses standard design patterns to
solve many typical problems.  All HTML components are reusable and embeddable
in other HTML components.

When it's used right, mod_perl is pretty much unbeataable.

Cheers

Kyle Dawkins
Systems Engineer
Central Park Software