On Thursday 07 February 2002 02:06, Nate Campi wrote:
> I like Mason's way of doing things, and it works for salon.com (similar
> needs), but now that we have AxKit, is that the right way to go? Seems
> better to force the separation of content and display, and using XML
> allows the stories to be easily shared for display on affiliated sites.
>
> Thoughts?

Die Vignette, die !!!!!! I'm all with you on that one ;-)

If you like the Mason way, you might want to check out Bricolage, which has
some of the feature you wish for (but not all at this point). I haven't
played with it extensively as of now, but it certainly looks nice.

If you want AxKit, there are CMSs is being built there. I haven't checked out
XIMS in a while, and last time I heard it was running under
CGI::XMLApplication / SAWA but considered to be easily portable to AxKit. I
don't know where it is now, and how soon it will be publicly available.

The other AxKit CMS being built (that I know of) is Tessera. Tessera however
has no planned release date. It's a CMS I'm building, and that will happen.
But I have no intention to hurry through it as I want to get it right. I have
code all over the place, but I don't intend to release anything until I have
a working core that I'm happy with. I do believe that /on paper/ I've solved
the issues I have with all other CMSs but that still needs to be proven by a
fully operational software. And well, I'm "slightly" biased ;-) I plan to
have a release by mid-March. That release, however, will not contain any GUI
editor, just the core classes. So if you're interested by that CMS, it could
be a while before it's there.

Depending on what you want there are very nice bricks out there. Barrie
Slaymaker has a very good module for workflows (StateML). DAV had its own set
of modules which'll deal with a fair part of metadata. Gerald Richter was
talking about Perl-enabling mod_dav, which would simply rock. Subversion --
the ultimate replacement for CVS -- is DAV based so that it should be rather
easy to extend the current DAV module to support its versioning capabilities.
AxKit has pipelines which can make auth and the such pluggable instead of
builting as they are altogether too often (always?) built in. It also has
Providers and other facilities to grab content from any kind of source.

If you have a requirements document (and perhaps a timeline) I'd love to help
you, I think I'll write a synthetic paper about Perl CMSs and content
management in Perl in general one of these days.

Robin Berjon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- CTO
k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
Paranoids are people, too; they have their own problems.  It's easy
to criticize, but if everybody hated you, you'd be paranoid too.