>Is this for example only on the machines running Linux 2.4, did you
>recompile everything including Perl, what compiler and compilation
>options did you use, are you using DSO, have you read the file
>mod_perl/SUPPORT, have you tried mod_perl-1.26_01 and/or
>apache_1.3.23...?

This has been happening on both 2.4 and 2.2 machines.  I've recompiled
everything but Perl itself (5.6.0) with the stock Redhat 6.2 and 7.2
compiler.  I have not tried 1.26_01 or apache 1.3.23 as of yet,
I'm hoping someone will be able to say "this is the problem" so
I can have a clear understanding of what has happened.  I sometimes
lose sleep over problems that "just go away."

I'm not using DSO, everything is compiled directly into httpd.

I apologize for not providing everything that one normally would
from the SUPPORT file.  I've been using mod_perl for two years now
and the "signature" from this one seemed so unique that if someone
else had run into it I'd find out right away.

Server version: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix)
Server built:   Jan 15 2002 18:57:13
Server's Module Magic Number: 19990320:10
Server compiled with....
 -D HAVE_MMAP
 -D HAVE_SHMGET
 -D USE_SHMGET_SCOREBOARD
 -D USE_MMAP_FILES
 -D HAVE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HAVE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/home/httpd"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/home/httpd/bin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/accept.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_XFERLOG="logs/access_log"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
 -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="conf/access.conf"
 -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="conf/srm.conf"

Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  mod_perl.c

>> We're running several other machines on Apache 1.3.22 and I've
>
>You mean you're running Apache 1.3.22 without mod_perl on several
>other machines?

That's correct.  I haven't noticed a similiar problem using 1.3.22
by itself or with PHP (which is used on several boxes as well).
I was thinking perhaps it could be something with 1.3.22, but
since it isn't happening elsewhere I'm not positive.

>> only really run into this problem on the mod_perl boxes.
>Is the word "really" of any significance here?

I'm maintaining around 12 web servers which all have hiccups from
time to time.  The problem I have described definately happens
on the mod_perl boxes once or twice a day.  The handful of problems
on the other machines I'm of course starting to second guess and
wonder about, but it's just paranoia.  Guess I should keep a more
detailed log for myself when servers have problems.

Thanks very much,
Jeremy