Hi again,

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Jeremy Rusnak wrote:

> This has been happening on both 2.4 and 2.2 machines.  I've recompiled
> everything but Perl itself (5.6.0) with the stock Redhat 6.2 and 7.2

Definitely go for 5.6.1 at least, 5.6.0 is buggy.  Compile your own,
don't use RPMs unless you have evidence they'll be OK.  I use 5.7.2
now in development and I'd be quite happy with to go live with it,
although I don't do anything fancy in my Perl code if I can avoid it.

I would stick with the compiler from 6.2, gcc has been having its own
growing pains recently but I'll admit I'm not up to date with the
present state of it.  The last time I looked, the latest gcc couldn't
reliably compile the Linux kernel.

> I'm hoping someone will be able to say "this is the problem"

I haven't seen anything resembling this mentioned here on the mod_perl List.

> lose sleep over problems that "just go away."

Yep.

> Compiled-in modules:

Nothing contentious there.  You doing anything with suexec?  Dunno why I ask.

> I was thinking perhaps it could be something with 1.3.22, but
> since it isn't happening elsewhere I'm not positive.

I have seen a couple of problems on 1.3.22. which seemed to be fixed by upgrade
to .23 but as I said, they didn't seem to bear any resemblance to your trouble.

> I'm maintaining around 12 web servers which all have hiccups from
> time to time.

How often is "from time to time"?  I expect my servers to run quite
literally for years without any hiccups at all.

> The problem I have described definately happens
> on the mod_perl boxes once or twice a day.  The handful of problems
> on the other machines I'm of course starting to second guess and
> wonder about, but it's just paranoia.

I'm not so sure.  Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they
aren't all out to get you...

> Guess I should keep a more detailed log

Agreed.

Do you compile your own kernels?