On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 02:54:47PM -0800, Paul Lindner wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 04:53:56PM -0600, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:
> >
> > > My suggestion would be to install a Linux on your developer's PC and
> > > keep with the distributed model. Now everyone can use a common web tree
> > > and at integeration, bring all of them to a staging box, QC it and ship
> > > it to production.
> >
> > Giving everyone their own Apache daemon, which uses their checked out tree
> > of code, on a central dev server is really not a problem either.
>
> One other tip... write a small script (or modify apachectl) to start
> apache with a port number matched to your unix UID.  This keeps
> developers from using clashing port numbers.
>
>   httpd -c "Port $UID" -c "Listen $UID"
>
> etc..

(returning from spring break...)

Just keep in mind that this won't work (afaik) on systems that need
more than 16 bits for the uids.  (Here at TAMU we are going that
direction -- unified UIDs across all our unix boxes -- 80,000 people
> 16 bits -- developers are part of those 80,000.)

What I did was very similar except I created a `testserver' script
that checks out the CVS tree, sets up the configs, and starts the
server.  After starting it, it lets the person know which port they
can use -- I hard code that into the script for now (small group of
developers -- < 10).

The UID thing can also run into problems if the UID is below 1024
(several of ours are).

But for small groups of users with all uids between 1024 and 65535,
using the uid as the port can work most of the time (6000 won't work
if X Windows is being used, for example).

--jim