On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Rob Nagler wrote:

> Most OLTP applications share a lot in common.  The user inputs data in
> forms.  The fields they edit often correspond one-to-one with database
> fields, and certainly their types.  The user wants reports which are
> usually closely mapped to a table/view/join, i.e. an ordered list of
> tuples.
>
> A reasonable O/R mapping can solve this problem easily.  Like Perl, it
> makes the easy things easy and the hard things possible.  The bOP Pet
> Shop demostrates how you can build a simple application with only a
> couple of custom SQL queries.  The rest are simple joins and CRUD.  If
> you need more complex queries, there are escapes.  You still probably
> end up with a list of tuples for your reports.  The key we have found
> is avoiding indirection by naming fields and models the same in SQL
> and Perl objects.  This allows you to seamlessly switch between the
> two.

The Pet Shop has a grand total of 13 tables.

How well does this approach work with 90 tables?  How does it handle
arbitrary queries that may join 1-6 tables, with conditionals and sorting
of arbitrary complexity?

> We've found the O/R mapping to be an indispensable part of the
> system.  Since all data is contained in objects, the views/widgets
> don't need to how the data is populated.  They access all data through
> a single interface.

I'm not a big fan of O/R.  I prefer R/O.  But to each their own.

-dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun