> The Pet Shop has a grand total of 13 tables.
>
> How well does this approach work with 90 tables?  How does it handle
> arbitrary queries that may join 1-6 tables, with conditionals and
> sorting of arbitrary complexity?

Where I work we have over 90 tables and it works fine.  We don't run a
ticketing system or a huge e-commerce site but our servers are pretty
busy and we have no performance problems.  Our application layer does
not contain a single line of SQL.  The entire system is OO Perl and
uses an OR-mapping system that entirely abstracts the tables and
relationships between them.  It works for us.  Maybe it wouldn't for a
bigger system, but I would also caution people to say that if you find
yourself doing joins across up to 6 tables, you're almost certainly
doing something wrong from the start and, basically, you're fooked
because of shitty design, and O/R or R/O won't help you.

> > We've found the O/R mapping to be an indispensable part of the
> > system.  Since all data is contained in objects, the views/widgets
> > don't need to how the data is populated.  They access all data
> > through a single interface.

This is how our system works too.  Less code, fewer bugs (we hope!),
faster development time.  For us it's awesome; your mileage may vary.

As for people claiming never to have seen an OR system that works, I
suggest you check out EOF from NeXT/Apple.  That puppy runs banks and
insurance companies, and usually without needing a line of SQL.  It's
not perfect, but it's pretty friggin amazing.

Each to his/her own.

Kyle Dawkins
Central Park Software