Fran,

I think the key here is taking care of the 80% easily. This has been
mentioned in this thread several times, and in previous threads. No, I
don't think there will ever be an (efficient) wrapper that can handle ALL
the cases and ALL the possible SQL queries. But if you can handle the
majority of them easily with a wrapper, and that wrapper also provides a
way to get at the SQL directly (I heard SPOPS as being good for this), then
that is a lot of work saved. Work saved = money & time saved = you look
better to your boss.

Both approaches have merit, so the trick is to determine which one is best
for your situation. At my day job, the tables are relatively denormalized,
ie. very wide, so a wrapper can easily work. At a previous job I was
working to encapsulate all the SQL calls into a single module. The ability
to find the approach that works best for you is the difference between a
grunt and a good software engineer. :-)

Drew

At 01:30 AM 6/14/02 -0400, Fran Fabrizio wrote:

>I don't typically find apps that just mirror some subset of one of the db
>tables to be all that interesting.  After all, it's the relationships
>between the data that make the data interesting, and by necessity this
>means your queries will be complex.  And looking over the stuff outlined
>at poop.sourceforge.net, there's not too many models/frameworks out there
>that can accurately abstract ALL of SQL, and if it only does a subset, I
>feel like that's shooting myself in the foot.

Drew Taylor                  |  Freelance web development using
http://www.drewtaylor.com/   |  perl/mod_perl/MySQL/postgresql/DBI
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  Email jobs at drewtaylor.com
Speakeasy.net: A DSL provider with a clue. Sign up today.
http://www.speakeasy.net/refer/29655