On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 08:37 PM, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

> At 21:30 02.10.2002, william ross wrote:

>>> You can configure objects instead of using static class names. See
>>> the doc:
>>>
>>> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/method_handlers.html
>>
>> sorry: i wasn't very clear, was I? I am using a method handler, but I
>> want to pass an object of another class to it each time it is called.
>> The object needs to be created outside of an individual request, and
>> therefore presumably in a startup file, and then either passed to the
>> handler along with each request, or somehow made available to all the
>> requests, but preferably without setting a class variable, which is
>> what I do at the moment but dislike.
>
> Yes, and that it exactly what the doc I referred to shows you:
> You instantiate an object in your startup file; then you configure
> mod_perl to call your handler with this object as the class, like:
> PerlHandler $My::obj->handler
> $My::Obj must then be an instance of the handler class, but can
> contain any other information too.
> Now, in your handler, you get:
> sub handler ($$) {
> my ($obj, $r) = @_;
>
> and you have your $obj, which you can use freely. ($obj isn't a class
> name, it is an ... object!)
>
> Wasn't that what you wanted?

no, not quite, though i begin to suspect that i wanted the wrong thing,
and what you suggest - which I had read several times but apparently
not taken in - is what I should be looking for.

the trouble is that I want to have many handler objects - they hold
session information, among other reasons - but I want each one to use
the same factory object. I don't want to instantiate a single handler,
as i think your snippet would. so i thought i'd make a new one each
time and pass the factory to each one.

but it looks - from what you say - like I've just got it back to front:
at the moment Class::DBI::Handler expects to be given a
Class::DBI::Factory object, but what I should do is put the handler($$)
method in the factory itself, and construct a new
Class::DBI::Factory::Handler object each time it's called, to hold
whatever per-request information is required.

excuse me thinking out loud: maybe you could warn me if it sounds like
i've found another wrong tree. meanwhile, I'll go try it.

thanks for your help

will