--- Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > What I mean is that before I had a custom access
> > handler installed to use MySQL without resorting to state
> > management other than the http NCSA Basic Authentication header
>
> You should be able to do that with FastCGI.  Not sure about
> PersistentPerl.  You'd have to ask the author.
>
> - Perrin

Looks like the FastCGI binaries are only available for Windows
versions. We'll be on Sun Solaris, but I can probably recompile the
source, if that doesn't cause the open-source police to come get me.

I still think we're miscommunicating, though. We weren't even using
Apache::Registry; the CGI speed improvement of mod_perl is only of
incidental interest to us. The API hooks were what we were using.
FastCGI (as I understand it, e.g., from
http://www.fastcgi.com/devkit/doc/fastcgi-whitepaper/fastcgi.htm )
doesn't offer any API, though the iPlanet version at
http://www.caraveo.com/fastcgi/ seems to be implemented with NSAPI in
such a way that it *sort* of does anyway. It's theoretically *better*
for the niche it was written to fill, but that's functional
specialization, where mod_perl is more versatile.
The main thing is just that mod_perl/mysql was just such a sweet
solution -- I really hate to see it go.

Anyway, I've beaten this thread enough. Thanks again, and I'll try to
stop spamming the list now. =o)

Paul