I agree that database persistence is an important topic and should be
included
in the perl Cookbook. However, Apache::DBI is not always the answer.

Example:

I currently have a need to use database persistence for an Ingres Database.
So I
installed the DBD::Ingres Module and attempted to use Apache::DBI. Needless
to asy
it did not work :-( After much searching/posting I got my answer.

Henrik Tougaard wrote: (from comp.databases.ingres)

I wouldn't bet on Apache::DBi working with DBD::Ingres!
Reason: cached statementhandles are not implemented (currently) in
DBD::Ingres and Apache::DBI uses them. (It's on my todo list, but not
scheduled right now - i seem to have run out of tuits).

I assume that the only way of getting permanent connections is to have
another process hold them for you - but the hassle of accessing the
connections would be so great, that it might be just as easy to avoid CGI
entirely and go straight for mod_perl.

OK, so now what? This type of situation could be discussed then
talk about the Apache::DBI module.

Just my 2 cents

Ron Hill