Paul Lindner wrote:
Hi,

I only speak for myself, but I am happy to see mod_perl covered in the
Perl Cookbook. Why you ask? I see the inclusion of mod_perl helping
increase the size of the mod_perl "pie". A rising tide lifts all
boats.
I second that. And just like Paul, I only speak for myself.

We need more coverage/crossreference for mod_perl in places where people don't know/use mod_perl yet. If Nat's chapter gives plenty of crossreferences to the eagle book, cookbook and our new book, it's a goodness.

I'd like to think of Nat's chapter as a teaser, to get the reader all excited about mod_perl. So you should a simple auth recipe and say, to learn about more complex implementation, see Chapter XXX Book YYY. Now if that reader is not really interested in getting to know mod_perl, chances are that he would never have bought Book YYY. But if Nat's chapter raised enough curiosity for that person to go and buy Book YYY, that's a goodness!

Also please don't forget that the majority of mod_perl users use or at least start with *only* Apache::Registry and Apache::PerlRun, so just covering these two meaning to bring many more converts to mod_perl, by just letting them know that it takes a few minutes to make your perl/cgi scripts fly. Do they need more than that? Time will show.

To me what's important is to have as many people as possible *know* about mod_perl and its strengths (and weaknesses I guess ;). Because if people don't know about mod_perl they obviously won't buy mod_perl books.

The real problem with mod_perl books not selling as well as they could is the availability of the online documentation, which certainly doesn't cover the cool things in the cookbook and the eagle books, but is good enough for many purposes. So I was thinking to help the sales of our book when it hits the shelves in March 2003, we should pull the documentation site down for a few months and redirect everybody to http://modperlbook.org/ ;) (...for those who miss the smiley, I'm joking of course)