Larry Leszczynski wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Perrin Harkins wrote:

2) The Perl Pet Store

This would be a discussion of porting the J2EE Pet Store reference application to Perl. It would cover Perl equivalents for various J2EE features, and talk about what was easier or harder to do in Perl.

I think this could make for an excellent talk.

Along similar lines, I'd be interested in hearing about Perl application
frameworks such as OpenInteract, progress of P5EE, etc. - any ammunition I
could use that would help displace the misconception that if an app
server/framework is required then it must be Java-based.
Several people have brought up benchmarking in reference to the pet store. I don't think it will possible to do a good benchmark of this application, partly because it's so big (it's a reference app that uses lots of functionality just to demonstrate it) and partly because it's well known that the J2EE pet store performs badly. It does not represent anyone's best efforts to make a high-performance Java store.

If people are more concerned with seeing something that would dispel myths about Perl performance, rather than a talk on feature portability from J2EE to Perl, I could look at implementing something that really can be benchmarked like the TPC-W spec or the Doculabs Nile Bookstore benchmark. These would be more comparable to existing Java and .NET performance tests.

Personally it would warm my heart to help enable a press release saying something like "Perl blows away previous price/performance leaders on TPC-W benchmark", but I don't know if hearing about that would be as interesting to people as the other things I proposed.

Regardless, I think that posting a good reference implementation of one of these specs might get mod_perl some good attention from the business-oriented mags that usually focus on Java, and would be a valuable marketing tool.

- Perrin