Quoting Perrin Harkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> As many of you probably know, the call for participation in this year's
> Open Source Conference has gone out
> (http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2003/create/e_sess).  I'm
> thinking about possible talks to submit and I want a little feedback on
> what people are most interested in.  Here are two options I'mconsidering:
>
> 1) Database Objects in Perl
>
> This talk would focus on the database mapping options for Perl,
> including modules like Tangram, Class::DBI, SPOPS, etc.  It would
> examine the differences in features, ease of use, and performance and
> include a set of hand-coded classes using straight DBI for comparison.

This would be a very interesting talk to attend.  Alot of applications
hook in to databases, so the interest coverage should be pretty high.

I've looked at a few of these, and where I struggle is trying to find
what is the "right tool for the job".  When is Tangram too much of a
tool and when is straight DBI not enough?  What approaches scales
as your needs change.

I'd throw Alzabo in there as well.  Something about the Object to
Relational mapping is worthy of inclusion.  IIRC, there's also a
brief discussion of this in the Advanced Perl Programming book.

Maybe I just can't get my brain around some of these frameworks,
but I haven't found one that "feels right" when I have to do a
query that isn't just a simple select or join of two tables.

> 2) The Perl Pet Store
>
> This would be a discussion of porting the J2EE Pet Store reference
> application to Perl.  It would cover Perl equivalents for various J2EE
> features, and talk about what was easier or harder to do in Perl.
> Because of the size of the Pet Store codebase and the complexity of the
> environment required to run it (multiple databases, etc.), it may not be
> possible to do a good performance benchmark.  However comparisons on
> other fronts (amount of code, ease of maintenance, etc.) would be made.

I like this one too.