[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I wonder if telecommuting plus occasional travel for face-to-face would
sell better than pure telecommuting. Is this done very often in telecommute
situations?

This is exactly what I hope to propose if the need arises in my situation.
Would love to hear from others who have had success doing this (maybe
offline if people feel this is straying too far).
I don't know if it is really appropriate for OSCon, but I think topics on telecommuting tips and tricks definitely tug at the heart strings of many programmers out there.

I know that for my own company, I both like and dislike telecommuting.

On the dislike side, I don't think I would ever hire someone whom I did not know for telecommuting even if they came recommended because everyone needs to be managed differently and it's very hard to learn the "body language" without having been there in person for 6 months to a year.

This adds a lot to inefficiency of communication which means money out the window when I could just otherwise hire someone local (unless local talent were not withstanding).

But we do support telecommuting. After a couple years with us, our R&D director moved to Melbourne (instead of Singapore), and when our webmaster moved back temporarily to New York for personal reasons, he telecommuted for months.

Anyway, how to make this "on topic" for OSCon? I am not sure.

Perhaps somewhere in this seed of an idea lies a study/comparison of Open Source Development models and tools being very similar (with perhaps some interesting differences) between telecommuting programmers in a corporation in terms of the methods and tools they use to do their jobs.