On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 16:37, Dennis G. Allard wrote:
> Hmmm.  No one has actually answered the question, although I am getting
> all kinds of advice...  (-; ...

Thomas Klausner said that mod_perl 2 only runs on apache 2 and mod_perl
1 only runs on apache 1.  He is correct.  Red Hat gave you an early
version of mod_perl 2 because they gave you apache 2.

> I'll take that to mean 'yes', I do have mod_perl 2.0 (although, per my
> my version is (I guess) 1.99_05-dev, which, you have to admit, does not
> look like '2.0'.

The 2.x branch has not reached an official release yet.  It is still
basically considered beta.  When it is officially released, it will be
2.0.

> Please note, though, one of my goals in life is to rely on my software
> providers to do the work of providing me with a stable, tested,
> updatable OS and associated tools.  If I download 'out of band' updates,
> then I can no longer rely on Red Hat's network update tool, for example.

If you want to use bleeding edge software, you do have to keep up.

> My heuristic is that I intentionally stay behind the curve.

In that case, you should use apache 1 and mod_perl 1.

> My current need for mod_perl 2.0 is not critical, so I will give it
> another year or so before I dig in and make the (substantial) effort of
> coverting entirely to it.

Most of us find that it's pretty easy to convert to mod_perl 1, provided
you have clean Perl code to begin with.

> Bummer, I don't have perl-blead

Bleedperl (aka perl-blead) is the name for the unreleased development
version of Perl.  You don't need it.

- Perrin