On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 14:13, Ged Haywood wrote:
> If the question to which you refer is the one in the subject line,
> then one answer is look in the error log.  Apache tells you when it
> starts.  It's generally about the first thing it says.  Your error log
> is defined in your Apache configuration file (probably httpd.conf) in
> a line that starts
>
> ErrorLog

I know about that file.

However, in my case (~stock Red Hat 8.0 Apache 2.0.40), my error log
(/var/log/httpd/error_log) shows:

        [Thu Jun 05 02:54:44 2003] [notice] Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat
        Linux) configured -- resuming normal operations

I spent some time scrounging the Apache Web site and can't find any
documentation on how to show what DSOs (Dynamic Shared Objects, aka
Apache modules) are loaded.  Google groups shows some other people
having this question.

For Apache 1.0, one can inspect the httpd.conf for LoadModule
directives.  For Apache 2.0 in Red Hat, one can do that but, also, for
modules that are packaged as separate RPMs, one must examine
/etc/httpd/conf.d/*.  Such techniques do not constitute a documented API
for finding that information, but are better than nothing.  See:

  http://oceanpark.com/notes/howto_redhat8-apache2-mod_perl.html

You can find out what modules are statically linked with your Apache
image by doing, for example:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] httpd]# httpd -l
Compiled in modules:
  core.c
  prefork.c
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c

apachetcl -l will also do that.

But I don't have mod_perl statically linked.  It is loaded by my
/etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf file.

> You could also take a look at
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html
>
> which has an example of the output in the error log from a server when
> it's started.

But no documentation as to why or how that line is generated nor what it
means.

> If your question isn't the one in the subject line, please accept my
> apologies - I haven't been following this thread closely.  Feel free
> to ask it again if it hasn't yet been answered.

It was in some earlier responses:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# perl -Mmod_perl -le 'print mod_perl->VERSION'
1.9905

> There's more FM to R if you work with Apache/mod_perl 1.x - if you're
> going to be doing a lot of work for a commercial application and you
> don't want to be involved in the mod_perl 2.x development, and you're
> going to want lots more people around to hold your hand, then that's
> what I'd recommend.  There are good books too.  Buy them.  Read them.
> You're an exceptional individual if you can absorb it all the first
> time through, so read them again.

One of the best books I've ever read in my tenure doing software
development is the excellent one by Lincoln Stein and Doug MacEachern,
Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C.  First thing I read back in 1999
when I started using mod_perl.  I eagerly await an update that covers
Apache 2.0 and mod_perl 2.0.

> Oh, heck.  More advice.
> 73,
> Ged.

All well founded advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Dennis

--
Dennis G. Allard                               telephone: 1.310.399.4740
Ocean Park Software                                 http://oceanpark.com