Mark,

I think that I may be able to clarify this.  I ran into the same type of
problem a few weeks ago.  I had always defined my handlers inside a "Location"
block and couldn't get the DirectoryIndex to work properly.  I solved my
problem by calling my handler from within a "Directory" block instead.

You should be able to find the answer you're looking for on the following page.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/sections.html

-Mike