Thus spake Cees Hek ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> <input type="text" name="ipaddress" value="192.168.1.1">
>
> If that value="192.168.1.1" is set in any of your form fields, then
> your script is the cuprit.  If your form fields don't have the
> value="192.168.1.1" set, or it is set to value="", then your browser is
> the culprit.

That's just the problem.  The value="" parameter *is* filled out (and
it is being done at the server end as evidenced by the network sniffer.)
Unfortunately, my script is not doing it.  Here's what I have in the
script:

        print "IP Address: ",
          $cgi->textfield(-name=>'ipaddress', -size=>20, -maxlength=>20),
          $cgi->p;

But yet the form is filled out when I go to it with a web browser.

> Most modern browsers will offer to remember values you have entered
> into a form.
> On subsequent visits to the same URL, the values will be prefilled by
> the browser for you.

I was certain that that's what it was, but it just can't be.  I've even
used browsers on computers that have never been to the site before and
the data is still pre-filled out.

> mod_perl itself will never prefill form values for you.  It is
> completely up to your script (or the modules it uses) to munge the data
> coming through.

That's good to know.  Thanks very much.

> It is possible that you are creating your form fields with CGI.pm,
> which will use the currently POSTed parameters to prefill the form, or

This sounds like the most likely culprit, even though I haven't
explicitly turned anything on.  It's possible that I've done it
inadvertently.  I'll check it out.

Thanks again for your help.

David