On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 12:14, Patrick Galbraith wrote:
> I get so tired of Java types talking about how "perl is just a scripting
> language.. it's not an application platform/server like
> Dynamo/WebSpere/<insert $$$ java non-OS app here>". I even tried to crack
> a particular Orielly java book and was turned off on a statement like
> "Perl is good for proto-typing but not a full application server". Yes,
> there are a lot of prototypes getting millions of pageviews a day and
> generating signicifican revenue.
>
> I'd like to see perl/mod_perl reclaim some of the lost ground.

Yahoo and Amazon both use perl much more than they use Java.  eBay is
going Java (from C++), but it's costing them millions and taking years.
Ticket Master and CitySearch are both Perl.  It looks to me like there
is very little evidence to support the claim that Java is in any way
better for building high-volume sites.

- Perrin