Leo Lapworth wrote:

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 08:08:02PM +0100, Stefano Ciancio wrote:

But the big problem with this module is that seem for each object it require an
authentication from pdc/bdc. This behaviour causes the web server to go _very_
slow. The user must wait ten of seconds to load a single web page.

We are working on something similar at the moment, we are planning on creating a wrapper module which checks for a cookie, if that is not set then it used AuthenNTML and sets the cookie (just for the browser session), but if it is set we know that the user has been authenticated and therefor only have to check authentication once per user per session.

Once we get it working I'll post it on the net somewhere and
a message here.

Leo

Are you creating something along the lines of a:

Apache-AuthCookieNTML ?

It seems that a lot of these questions would be resolved by a module that would check for a cookie first, and then throw the auth box when the user hasn't been authenticated. Then you could just continue to check for a cookie, instead of querying the samba server for every image, etc. on the page.

Could I recommend writing this module, (instead of a work-around piece of code)? I think that an Apache-AuthCookieNTLM would benefit a lot of people.

If no one is up to it, let me know and I will start working on one when I have the time.

thanks,
speeves
cws