On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:43:23 -0400
Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 15:50, Stefan Loones wrote:
> > I looked at php. Why ? Because you hear about it, and see it
> > everywhere (= PR !).
>
> Where?  Where do you see it that you are not seeing Perl represented?
> Keep track, and then we'll have some targets to pursue for placing
> articles.

  I'd be happy to gather these up for everyone and bring them all to the
  BOF.  If you find examples of where other tech is being discussed,
  but not mod_perl feel free to E-mail it to me directly and I'll
  correlate it all.

  You can obviously omit websites/magazines entirely devoted to a
  particular technology. I don't think we'll have much luck
  getting much perl/mod_perl PR on www.php.net or in a Java magazine. ;)

> > In my opinion mod_perl definitly needs a lot of extra PR.
>
> My intention was that mod_perl would be talked about in the larger
> context of Perl, as the standard way to build web apps.  There could
> be an ad promoting web development with mod_perl, one promoting
> Bioinformatics use, one promoting use in financial companies, one for
> sysadmin and DBA use, etc.
>
> If you notice, no one talks about mod_php.  Instead they talk about
> PHP.  That's because mod_php is just some glue code that lets you run
> PHP in apache, just like mod_perl lets you run Perl.  I already run
> into people who know Perl and think that mod_perl is some other
> language they would have to learn, and that's not good.

  I agree that we should work to make sure mod_perl is accurately
  portrayed and do our best to avoid misinterpretations that mod_perl
  is a separate language, etc.