Perrin Harkins wrote:
On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 10:55, Frank Wiles wrote:

 I agree mod_perl needs more PR.  I think we've got a great community
 of people to help on the mailing list, tons of great documentation,
 but lack in several areas:

1) PR announcements in general (When is the last time you saw mod_perl
in the press?) 2) Online and magazine articles about mod_perl 3) HOWTOs on specific subjects
4) Small application examples with developer commentary.

These are really two different things.  The first two are more about
getting the word out while the second two are about helping people with
practical coding issues.  We are well-equipped to handle the second two
right here, but the first two might require some help from other groups.

In particular, I would say it's a mistake to think that mod_perl
specifically needs PR.  There is no important difference between
promoting mod_perl and promoting Perl in general.  That's why I think
this sort of thing should be pursued through The Perl Foundation, rather
than as some sort of separate splinter group.

I tend to partially disagree here, when you talk about web technologies, one needs to choose between mod_perl, FastCGI, SpeedyCGI, mod_cgi, mod_php, mod_python, etc. So promoting mod_perl is a bit different than promoting Perl. Besides by promoting mod_perl you promote Perl - it's a two-edges sword.

 Since many of us will be in Portland for OSCON, maybe we should get
 together in person to discuss mod_perl PR in more detail?

Yes, but maybe we should be more inclusive, like organizing a Perl PR
BOF.  That way we can keep the mod_perl BOF free for fun tech talk.

From the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list it seems that one needs a killer app to promote Perl. while mod_perl is not an app, it can be a killer base driving killer Perl frameworks and Apps. So if mod_perl is successful as a technology choice, so much better for Perl.

In any case, publishing mod_perl articles is something that could help a great deal. Once mp2.0 is released, I may start 2.0 series of articles on perl.com, similar to the mp1 series http://www.perl.com/pub/au/Stas_Bekman, which were republished on quite a few other sites (some of them linked here: http://stason.org/works/mod_perl.html). But we really need to get other folks write mod_perl and mod_perl apps articles. There are quite a few online zines (including perl.com) that have a very low barrier for article submissions.