On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 18:47, Chris Shiflett wrote:
> Another reason for the naming habits is that PHP runs on more Web servers
> than Apache, and only the Apache SAPI is called mod_php.

This is exactly the same situation as Perl.  Perl has SAPI support on
IIS through PerlEx, lots more through FastCGI, and runs persistently
with any server that supports CGI via PersistentPerl.  (AFAIK, PHP has
no equivalent for that.)  This is part of why I think singling out
mod_perl, as opposed to talking about Perl's speed and SAPI support in
general and giving mod_perl as an example, is a questionable tactic.  If
you include all of the above groups, you have a lot more friends
(ActiveState) and reference accounts (Amazon.com).

> I personally think mod_perl's strengths are in its rich feature set.
> Only after watching a few of Geoff's talks (and one of Stas's) did I
> realize exactly what PHP developers are missing. They speak about
> things like ties, closures, and globs.

Those are all features of Perl, not mod_perl.  I would have thought PHP
developers would be more anxious to get features like separate
comparison operators for strings and numbers or more than one name space
for functions! :)

- Perrin