--- Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 19:00, Bart Simpson wrote:
> > What are some practical uses of APR::Base64?
>
> Sending binary data in ASCII.
>
> >   Encoding
> > credit card nums before storing in DB?  Passwords?
>

> No.  It's not encryption.

OK. its good for  Encoding as in changing forms but
not hiding from other readers. I think i get the
difference. Encode does not imply any secrecy or
privacy where as encrypt does.

Aside [
I looked encode and cryptography (encrypt wasn't in my
webster collegiate paperback)  up before i posted to
try to understand the difference and it said this
leaving me not very much more enlightened.

"encode" = "to convert (a message) into code"
"cryptography" = "the encoding and decoding of secret
messages"

the two seemed pretty synonomous to me but now i see i
didn't place enough importance on the lack of the word
"secret" in the encode definition.  :)

]
> > I'm
> > particular in need of encrypting/encoding credit
> card
> > nums before storing them
>
> Two-way encryption?  Blowfish, with Crypt::CBC.
> Storing credit cards is
> a bad idea though.

everyone says this. I'll look into letting someone
else carry the liability. Thanks.