> On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 11:53, Chris Ochs wrote:
> > I thought I would chime in here.  Many are probably not aware of the new
> > security regulations by Visa and Mastercard that are now in effect.
>
> Thanks for the info, Chris.  Is Payment Online a Verisign competitor?
> Does it have a mod_perl-friendly API?

Yes I would say we are a competitor, and we do have a perl api that works
fine under mod perl.  It's basically just an ssl connection to our gateway
passing the correct parameters.  We do not use a separate client like
Verisign does for their api product.

> > Among the requirements, all card data must be encrypted and stored on a
> > server that is not directly connected to the internet
>
> I assume a database server would qualify as long it's on a separate
> machine from your web app.

Yes, as long as it's not directly reachable from the public internet, such
as behind a nat that is itself behind a screened subnet.

> > you have to use two factor authentication for all
> > remote access
>
> What counts as two factor authentication here?  Something like IP
> address and password?  Or do you have to plug some physical key into the
> web server so it can access the database?

Two factor is commonly considered something you have, and something you
know.   The most common method is to use a hardware token such as a smart
card which generates one time passwords that can be used to login.  I highly
recommend Cryptocard myself.  RSA has their SecureID, but at 10X the price
and less flexibility.

Chris