Here is a comment that might be helpful, because it also explains why
DBIx::Class can work with Apache::DBI (and why it is not needed):

http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2006-April/001153.html

""
DBIx::Class already manages its connections for you, and therefore it
cannot benefit from Apache::DBI under any scenario.  It makes one
connection per-process, and keeps that connection persistent,
reconnecting only if the connection appears to have died, or if you
fork/thread over to another process/thread-id.  The only Apache::DBI
issue in DBIx::Class is that Apache::DBI will actually thwart
DBIx::Class's connection management code, and cause it to use the same
(and invalid) connection in a new process, in cases such as (as
mentioned above) if you make a DBI connection before forking in a
prefork mod_perl server.

To work around this, DBIx::Class has specific code in it to work
around Apache::DBI, nullifying the effects of Apache::DBI on
DBIx::Class.  Essentially, loading Apache::DBI should change nothing
and be rather pointless under DBIx::Class.

The only reason we support it (support working around it) is because
someone might want Apache::DBI loaded up under the same mod_perl as a
DBIx::Class application to support a different legacy application
which does not use DBIx::Class, in which case they share a perl
interpreter and will both have the same set of modules loaded.
""

Octavian