On Mar 11, 2015, at 10:15 AM, Lathan Bidwell <lat...@andrews.edu> wrote:

> I am not an expert at this, so I don't have an answer.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

> But I can suggest a few debugging steps to clear out of the way:
>
> 1) Confirm that your document root is showing properly in the error log
> Does the error log report "/var/html/foo/bar.html" is not found, or does it
> only show the request? On my local apache instance if I do /blah/foo (non
> existant), I get: File does not exist: /home/www/html/blah (which has my
> document root in it).

Yeah, the document root is correct.

> 2) Confirm that path exists, Look for a folder structure you can create that
> will work
> if /var/html/foo/bar.html doesn't exist, is it looking for
> /var/www/foo/bar.html or /foo/bar.html

Yes, I was logging the value I was putting into filename(), and yes, it did
exist.

> 3) Do you have any rewrite urls or other location / directory directives that
> could be overriding hits?
> Check your config files, and then put in some print STDERR / smart comments
> to confirm if your routing program is returning the DECLINED

Nope.

> 4) Does it work for DirectoryIndexes?

I don’t know, but it turns out that unsetting path_info() fixed the issue for
me. How Apache uses filename and path_info together is opaque to me.

Best,

David