* sawyer x <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-07-01 08:10]:
> > personally I find ::Easy and ::Simple no more useful than
> > ::Foo. It says absolutely nothing about what kind of ease or
> > simplicity I can expect, and CPAN has plenty of examples of
> > such modules exhibiting all possible interpretations of these
> > words.
> >
> > (XML::Simple comes to mind here, which has an API so complex
> > at this point (with its own strict mode!) that the name is
> > almost comical.)
>
> This just screams to me like we need to have better standards
> than canceling out words English language that can be used to
> mean something. Instead of ruling out the words Easy, Tiny,
> Simple, Fast, and any other word, we need to have better
> standards to make sure these words are still meaningful to us.
>
> It'd be easier to have a new module up called Log::Fast and
> have it take 30 minutes to actually log something, thus ruining
> he idea of ::Fast, but it'd be more worthwhile changing its
> name to Log::FsckingSlow and not ruin ::Fast. And it would be
> even better to just do it right  altogether and make Log::Fast
> justifiable.

You utterly missed the point, though arguably I made it in a
misleading way.

I did *not* say that XML::Simple isn’t simple. The point is that
“simple” in “XML::Simple” means “parses XML documents into plain
Perl data structures” rather than “has a simple API” or “consists
of simple code” or some other kind of simplicity.

I am *not* saying that you should avoid certain words because
they might become lies. *Any* word can be a lie.

I am saying that “simple” has so many different meanings that
it doesn’t actually say anything useful.

If I see a module called Exception::Easy in a list of modules,
I have *absolutely no idea* what it does. In contrast, if it was
Exception::Class::Functions, I could immediately guess pretty
well at what it does, even if I didn’t know exactly.